If you want to increase the pressure, strengthen the core muscles, tone the abs, flatten the abs, strengthen the shoulders and glutes, the plank will help you.
Is it hard to believe that performing a daily exercise can improve your strength, physique, mood and more? But it is true! This pose has many positive effects on your body. While it may not be the easiest exercise to do, doing it regularly will give you lifelong benefits.
In yoga, the plank pose or Phalakasana is a pose for developing strength, as it stretches all the major muscles of the torso, as well as the shoulders, strengthening the neck, back, glutes, quadriceps, and hamstrings. belly. Plank is also known as isometric position. It contracts the muscles, forcing them to hold a predetermined position. You stand in the bar, and your body works.
This is the most common exercise of all fitness programs, without the need for machines, equipment, weights, and a gym. All you need is body, desire and perseverance, and you can do it right at home!
Plank will help accelerate metabolism, improve blood circulation, the exercise is suitable for everyone: both beginners and advanced people, both men and women. You will find this exercise in yoga, Pilates, stretching, bodybuilding.
A seemingly simple static exercise is just what it seems. After standing in a bar for a minute, you'll realize that time doesn't go by that fast. By the way, the world record for men is 8 hours 1 minute 1 second. Women's record - 3 hours 31 minutes. So you have something to strive for. Now about everything in order.
Useful properties of barbell for health and weight loss
Exercise not only strengthens muscles, but also prevents and cures a number of diseases. The effect is guaranteed with the systematic implementation of the exercise. The plank is capable of:
- prevent and eliminate the first manifestations of degenerative diseases of the cervical and lumbar spine;
- significantly improves posture;
- pain relief in the spine;
- stimulates blood circulation;
- speed up metabolism;
- burn calories.
Please note that the last two points indicate that this exercise contributes to weight loss.
Which muscles work?
During standard (classic) bar performance, the following muscles work:
- Rectal and transverse abdominal muscles;
- Biceps, triceps, deltoids;
- Lumbar vertebrae;
- Biceps, quads, and calves;
- Buttock muscles;
- Back and chest muscles.
- Strengthen the muscles of the body. When you're trying to build core strength, this pose is the most beneficial because it targets all of the muscle groups in your abs. . . and you think there are only muscles on the abs? The plank works not only the abs, but also the stabilizers, as well as the lateral abs, responsible for the position of the hips and spine.
- Muscles become more pronounced. Plank also works the muscles in the shoulders, chest, legs, and back. They will also grow. The function of this pose, combined with isometric tension, helps muscles throughout the body "dry" and become more pronounced.
- Accelerate metabolism. Strength and muscle mass, which is increased with proper exercise, has another wonderful property, in addition to increasing strength and a beautiful body - it is an accelerated metabolism! When you increase muscle mass, you increase your resting metabolic rate, which allows you to burn more calories.
- Prevent back pain. As your abs get stronger, your body will be less dependent on using your back muscles to maintain your posture. Instead of back muscles, now the muscles of the trunk work, used for all exercises and jobs, helping to reduce the possibility of back pain.
- Your posture improves. Improved posture is often achieved by strengthening and strengthening the muscles in the back and torso. When you do plank, your back, neck, shoulder, and abs work to keep your body in an organic position.
- Improve coordination. Holding an isobaric position stimulates an improvement in coordination and general balance. If you learn to master the plank, you'll also be able to hold an upright position more efficiently and stably.
- Improve bone health. Plank allows you to train with heavy weights while reducing the negative effects and discomfort associated with exercises like running and jumping. When you stand in this position, new spines will be created, making bones stronger. Physical activity performed during exercise also improves blood circulation in the joints, making them more mobile. Reduce friction.
- Improve mood and reduce stress. Doing a plank, like any other exercise, promotes the release of the neuroactive compound endorphins. Endorphins help improve mood and create a feeling of happiness, while also helping to reduce stress. This pose can also relieve stress, as the body is given the opportunity to stretch as you perform this exercise.
Judging by the number of pluses from implementing it, it's not hard to see why it's so loved.
Whether you're just starting out or just adding a minute to your time in this pose, remember that quality is always more important than quantity or duration. As soon as your posture begins to "fall apart, " you should stop, rest, and try again the next set or day.
Techniques done right
The algorithm to perform the movement is very simple, however, pay attention from the little things, learn how to stand in the bar correctly, proficient technique is the key to success.
- Lie face down. Place your elbows on the floor at shoulder height. Place your forearms on the floor. The bent arm should form a 90 degree angle. Straighten your legs and now lean on the toes of your feet and on your forearms. The feet can be placed close together or hip-width apart. Make sure your elbows are below your shoulders.
- Tighten and straighten your entire body. Your body from head to toe should be in a straight line.
- Do not bend the spine, do not raise the pelvis;
- Tighten the press;
- Breathe evenly and calmly.
There are many types of this exercise. But if you master the classic plank technique, there should be no problem with the other options.
- Raise the pelvis above the level of the head. It is the position of the bar that is violated. What does this lead to? This is the most common mistake. People often feel like lifting their hips up as this will allow them to hold the pose longer. The problem is that when you raise your hips, most of the load falls on your shoulders and the pose loses its meaning. This mistake leads to the development of pain in the shoulders and back. Keep your hips in a straight line between your heels and shoulders.
- Cervical dislocation. Neck muscles are overloaded. When performing, the neck must be kept in a neutral position - the head must neither stoop nor rise higher. Imagine that both the head and neck are parts of a straight line created by the rest of the body. When the neck is not on this line and the head is facing down or up, you are more likely to notice pain in your upper back or neck.
- Raise your elbows to the side, connect your fingers to the lock, and lower your head below the desired level. As a result, the shoulders are less involved, sending blood to the head. If you keep your hands above each other, this will reduce the effectiveness of the pose. When the hands are clasped together, the abs work less. Always keep your arms apart, extending them in a straight line from your elbows, keeping your hands on the floor.
- Lower back slant. If you continue to stand in a posture with such error, you may have problems with your lower back. When you arch your back, your body weight stops loading the muscles, and instead, the vertebrae and the connections between them hold the load. This mistake leads to low back pain. Correct the error by slightly rotating the pelvis. This will make your back straight. It is also useful for toning the buttocks.
- Hips too low. If your hips are too low, the entire weight of your body will be on the lower vertebrae, although the muscles of the torso will work. It seemed that leaning back was easier than exercising, but then the exercise lost its meaning.
- A round back is a sign that your shoulders are hunched. Humans sometimes make this mistake to compensate for a weak body. The mistake allows people with weak bodies to hold the pose for longer because the muscles in the back, neck, and shoulders are overstretched. To correct this, move your shoulders down, away from your ears. The trapezius and mid-back muscles (the muscles of the upper back) should be tightened to prevent a round back.
Tips for beginners
Do the exercise on a yoga mat or towel so that the hard floor doesn't irritate your elbows. Before exercising, warm up by stretching or do some simple three-minute exercises. The first days, just stood in the bar for 20 seconds. This is enough for a beginner. To facilitate the exercise, place your feet hip-width apart.
If even in this pose you don't feel confident, do it from your knees.
After a few days, when your muscles are stronger, you can straighten the bar from the knee by straightening one leg and holding the weight. Hold for 30 seconds, then switch legs. After completing the exercise, we recommend doing balasana - a child's pose. This will relieve tension and relax the core muscles.
Is it possible to bar during menstruation?
Definitely yes. During your period, you can do many things, especially sports. Some young ladies may make excuses that they don't have to go to school but lie down on the sofa, cover themselves with varnish, and buy some cakes. But you won't do that. If during this period, your energy and mood have plummeted, then it is better to slow down your training. And if the important days are not so important to you, then stand up for health.
How long do you need to stand on the bar to lose weight?
Not sure how long to hold the plank position? Hold until you find it difficult to maintain the correct technique or hold until you feel your muscles start to hurt and your body starts to shake - then hold for another 5-10 seconds.
If this is your first time doing this pose and you find yourself easily standing for 1 minute, congratulations. You are in satisfactory physical condition. But if you are completely new to this sport, then you can start with 10 seconds, repeating 5 times a day. After a while, when the muscles are stronger, perform 4 sets of 30 seconds, each set increases the training time by 1 second.
Remember that the main thing is technique. It's better to stand for 20 seconds with perfect form than 40 seconds with a arched lower back.
Plan every day, but leave one day a week to rest.
But you need to understand that everything depends on the capabilities of your body. Start training and assess your strength, you will be able to choose the best plan and time, and you will stand at this position with the benefits of health and pleasure.
When it's better to do plank for weight loss is up to you. After all, it is good because it does not require anything but your body and a bit of space. You can exercise in the morning, evening and day, but you should not practice right after eating and before going to bed.
How to stay in the game longer
Regular practice will help you be able to stand in the bar for longer and with more correct technique. But other points are also important:
- Comfortable shoes and clothes. Make yourself comfortable in this sense. You shouldn't be distracted by top-cut shoulder straps or slip-on sneakers.
- A soft enough mat or towel will allow you to hold the pose longer. After all, the pain from the hard floor, felt in the elbow, can cause you to give up ahead of time.
- Ventilation room. You need oxygen.
- Turn on music.
- Keep quiet, turn off your phone, be careful not to get distracted.
- Mentally motivated. The words: "My body is working, my muscles are getting stronger, I am getting more and more beautiful! " works great.
- Warm up before exercise.
- Use a stopwatch. When you see how the seconds go up, it pushes.
Popular plank options: techniques, nuances and differences
You should lean on your toes and on your forearms. Arms bent at elbows at a 90-degree angle, forearms parallel to each other. Your body from head to toe is a straight line. Squeeze your glutes and leg muscles. Do not lower the pelvis, do not raise or lower the head. Breathe regularly.
Full or straight arm
Straighten your arms and lift your hips, keeping your hands on the floor. This move may even seem easier for some people with a more developed upper body. This variety will make the shoulder more stable than the classic one. The fingers should be widely spaced and the middle finger should be pointed straight ahead. Rotate the inside of your elbows forward to focus on your biceps.
Lie on your right side, placing your feet on top of each other. Place your lower right elbow directly below your right shoulder and lift your thighs off the floor to form a straight line. You will feel a stretch in the waist area. Stretch your left arm toward the ceiling or rest it on your left thigh. Hold this position for a few seconds, then repeat the same with the left side of the body. If you feel stronger on one side of your body than the other, continue to do the same number of repetitions on each side to make them equally strong.
Side leg lift
When you can hold the plank inside for a minute, you can try this variation. Switch to a side plank and hold it, lift your top leg a few inches off the floor, then, tensing, controlling the movement of your leg, lower back down. Do 10 times, then repeat on the other side.
The side lowers the hips
Standing in a side plank position, lower your pelvis without touching the floor, then return to the starting position. Bring what? Increase the oblique load.
Raise the whole leg
Start in a full plank position, with your hands on the floor, and keeping your hips and abs tight. Lift one leg up, squeezing your butt. Hold your leg in the air for a few seconds, then switch to the other leg and do the same. It's not necessary to raise your legs too high, it's important to stretch your legs away from your body. Do 10 reps with each leg.
Sit on the floor. Put your hands on the floor and lean back a little. Elevate your pelvis. Palms should be under shoulders. Opara on palm and heel. Tighten your body, it should form a straight line.
We do the classic plank, but we raise the leg with the help of a rolling ball. The ball is at your feet.
Military or mobile
Start in a basic plank position with your forearms on the floor. Now, push up first with your right hand, then with your left, coming into a full plank position. Then, lower back to the starting position, starting again on the right. Do 10 reps on each side - 10 on the right, then 10 on the left.
Athletes who climb mountains or pull pillows
Start in a full plank position, then squeeze your abs and pull your right knee toward your chest using your lower abs. Return the right leg to the starting position and repeat the exercise for the left leg. Continue to repeat the exercise with both knees 20-30 times. You can do it fast or slow, the main thing is the right technique, because it is more important than speed.
With alternate shoulder touches
Start in a full plank position, keeping your hips as stable as possible. Bring your right hand to your left shoulder. Bring your right hand back to the starting position, then touch your right shoulder with your left hand. Continue to repeat this exercise 20-30 times.
But now that you know more about the barbell than before, you ask, how many kilograms can you lose with the help of exercise? Maybe the answer will disappoint you, but if you don't create a calorie deficit in your diet, even this 30-day fat-burning program won't help you lose weight. It will help strengthen the muscles, making them stronger. If you want to lose weight, start burning more calories than you consume. A simple math rule works for weight loss: if more is lost, all the excess will turn into body fat. I wish we could learn to save money the way our bodies store fat! Do a plank by combining it with these tips:
Useful tips for exercise and weight loss
- Eat eggs for breakfast. Eating eggs in the morning has many positive properties, one of which is rapid weight loss. If you replace the bread many people eat for breakfast with eggs, you'll save more calories and fat for the day and stay fuller longer.
- Drink coffee (preferably black). Coffee contains a large amount of antioxidants and has many health benefits. The caffeine contained in a cup of coffee increases the metabolic rate by 3-11%. But don't add sugar or other high-calorie ingredients to coffee, as this completely loses its benefits.
- Eliminate hidden sugars from your diet. Sugar is one of the most toxic ingredients in the human diet today. Many people consume too much sugar. Studies have shown that both sugar and fructose syrup are associated with an increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and other cardiovascular diseases. If you want to lose weight, eliminate sugar from your diet. Look at the label on the package, even so-called "healthy" foods can contain a lot of sugar.
- Eat less processed carbohydrates. Processed or refined carbohydrates are found in pasta and white bread. These carbohydrates are usually made from grains that have had all other nutrients removed, such as protein and fat. These types of carbohydrates cause insulin levels to spike. Increased insulin stimulates feelings of hunger and the desire to eat something sweet. Refined carbohydrates are strongly associated with obesity. If you're going to eat carbohydrates, eat them whole with natural fiber.
- Control sections. Portion control or calorie counting is very helpful. Counting calories at each meal helps to promote weight loss. Anything that allows you to know more about your food will be helpful.
- Eat more protein. Protein is the most important thing for weight loss. Eating foods rich in protein will speed up your metabolism and burn an extra 100 calories per day. At the same time, the food itself contains 400 fewer calories than you would normally consume. In addition, you will lose your appetite in the evening and crave sweets.
- Add whey protein to your diet. If you find it difficult to get enough protein into your diet, start taking a protein powder supplement to get enough protein.
- Eat "real" food. If you want to be a healthy person, you have to completely switch to an all-food diet. These foods fill you up, make it difficult to eat, and it is very difficult to gain weight on such a diet if most of your food is unprocessed.
Example of a daily diet
- Breakfast: 2 slices of whole-wheat toast + 2 hard-boiled eggs + sauce (optional)
- Snack: 1 cup berries, blueberries, for example + a handful of nuts;
- Lunch: 100 g of salmon + avocado + 1 whole grain bread + 1 glass of green vegetables;
- Afternoon snack: broccoli and cauliflower + 2 tablespoons of unsweetened yogurt;
- Dinner: 130 g lean steak + stewed carrots + Brussels sprouts + 1 tablespoon olive oil;
- And at night (possibly in an hour) 150 g of cheese (without sugar, of course).
What else can you do to lose weight faster?
Aerobic (cardio) exercise is a great way to burn calories and improve your physical and mental health. Cardio is especially effective in getting rid of belly fat, unhealthy fat that accumulates around the organs and causes disease.
This will speed up your metabolism and keep you from losing muscle mass. Of course, it's important not only to lose fat, but also to gain muscle. Therefore, endurance training is essential.
High Intensity Interval Training
By not spending a lot of time exercising, you'll speed up your metabolism, increase endurance, and burn extra calories.
Plank develops a sense of balance and trains will and character. Standing in it every day for a few more seconds and not allowing yourself to give up, you will build your character and become stronger. Perhaps this exercise will be the beginning of a beautiful, muscular body that you will be proud of.